Legislation requires all companies to share their privacy policies with all clients. Please note that in keeping with this legislation, if we do not hear otherwise, we can conclude that you have given us your consent.
Personal Information to be Collected
Personal information is defined as data that can be utilized to identify an individual. This information will include but is not restricted to, your name, address, health card number, date of birth, hospital file numbers, VAR registration number, and any financial data including credit card numbers that you supply.
Collecting and Using Information
- VAR will collect personal information only as required for the safe medical and business practices involved in collecting, processing, storing, and releasing your child’s cord blood sample and for the safety and storage of any other samples in our care.
- VAR endeavors to ensure that any personal information is as accurate, correct, and complete as necessary for VAR to run its operations safely and efficiently. Information contained in inactive or closed files is not actively updated or maintained.
- Collected information will include relevant information without restrictions, such as medical health history of you and your child, medical testing results, birth/delivery information, and cord blood processing/storage data.
- Information may be obtained from, or provided to, the processing and storage facility staff, your physician(s), medical lab, birth hospital/staff and any physician/ medical laboratory or hospital that may be involved in the receipt of your child’s sample at the time of need.
- VAR only collects, uses, and discloses personal information for the following purposes:
- Verifying your identity and the accuracy of your personal information with your physician(s), medical lab, birth hospital and any physician, medical laboratory or hospital that may be involved in the receipt of your child’s sample at the time of need and for the storage of your child’s sample
- Establishing and maintaining communications with you
- Complying with the law
- VAR will treat all information with respect. We will not sell your personal information.
- VAR may share your personal information with VAR owners/ staff and appointed accounting, legal, and tax advisors as a matter of regular business practice.
- Medical information, medical testing results, and sample processing information may be shared with the processing and storage facility, physician(s), medical lab, birth hospital/staff if required. Information may also be shared with any physician/ medical laboratory or hospital that may be involved in the collection, processing, and storage of your child’s cord blood sample or in the receipt of your child’s sample at the time of need.
- We may provide information in those circumstances where we are required to do so by the federal or provincial government, health regulations, and by other law.
- In any other circumstances, we will share your information only when we have your written consent and will do so only with the intent of protecting your child’s cord blood sample, other samples in our care, or to enhance products and services for the purpose of marketing.
Consent for the use of Information
By completing the registration information form, you consent to our use of your personal information. We may use the information to establish and service you as our client. We rely on the following actions by you as indications of your consent:
- Your voluntary provision of personal information directly to VAR or through a physician, medical lab, or hospital for the purposes of collecting, processing, storing and releasing your child’s cord blood sample and for the safety and storage of other samples in our care
- Your consent given through your authorized representatives such as a legal guardian, parent, or holder of a power of attorney.
Protecting Information – Retention and Security
- VAR will protect your information with appropriate safeguards and security measures. We utilize computer systems that restrict access to personal information.
- Our physical premises have security safeguards that assist in the prevention of unauthorized access to our facility.
- VAR restricts access to personal information to those employees and contractors that the management of VAR has determined need to know that information in order that VAR may provide services to its clients.
- We have established procedural requirements and trained our staff to be respectful and to comply with this policy.
- We will retain your information only for the time frame that is required for the purposes as explained to you or by other law.
Please note that in keeping with this legislation, if we do not hear otherwise, we can conclude that you have given us your consent.